Who are we?
We are the Lewes Community Land Trust which is a company limited by guarantee registered in England and Wales. The Company No is 6484965 and the Registered Address is 5 Toronto Terrace, Lewes BN7 2DU. It is recognised as a charity by HMRC No XT22244.
Supporters pay an annual subscription and nominate members to the Board of Directors of the Community Land Trust every year at the Annual General Meeting to make sure that the expert Directorship is guided by the interest of the community as a whole.
Our Trustees serve as board directors for a term of 3 years at a time. The current board includes:
- Pru Rowntree (Chair)
- Ros Brewer (Company Secretary)
- John Stockdale (Treasurer)
- Louis Blair
- John Marsh (IT/website & Membership)
Click here for more details of our trustees
Lewes Community Land Trust (Lewes CLT) was formed in 2007 to create an effective alternative to private, profit-driven development.
Lewes CLT competes with other developers to acquire suitable local sites on behalf of the community and then build and manage developments that people actually want...
- True mixed use developments with amenity spaces for everyone.
- Low cost work spaces for local businesses.
- The kind of homes that families want to live in – including a high proportion of affordable housing.
- Genuine commitment to sustainable technologies.
- A unique opportunity to bring some joined-up thinking to planning in our own town.
- Owned by the townspeople, managed by the townspeople, for the townspeople.
The CLT's objectives include...
- The promotion of development for the benefit of the public using sustainable means of achieving economic growth and regeneration.
- The maintenance, improvement and/or provision of public amenities.
- The provision of housing for those who are in conditions of need and the improvement of housing in the public sector or in charitable ownership.
- The protection and conservation of the environment.
- The creation of training and employment opportunities by the provision of workspace, buildings and/or land for use on favourable terms.
- The preservation of buildings and sites of historic or architectural importance.
The Lewes Community Land Trust’s principal aims are to acquire land for affordable housing and to enhance local job opportunities.
See our Events page and look in our Document Library for all sorts of related information.